At CABA Pro Bono Legal Services, we understand that veterans are underserved and neglected members of society who are often reluctant to seek legal help. We’re here to help promote self-sufficiency and stability through various comprehensive and accessible legal services. If you are a veteran in need of legal assistance, please call us today.
- Studies conducted by the Veterans Administration demonstrate the high rate of legal issues for veterans: 5 of the top 10 unmet needs for male homeless veterans require civil legal assistance, and for female homeless veterans, that figure is 4 of the top 10.
- Legal assistance needs rank higher than housing among the top unmet needs of homeless veterans, according to the US Interagency Council on Homelessness.
- Veterans are 8% of the general population but between 25% and 30% of the homeless population.
- While there are Veterans experiencing homelessness in every state, nearly one-third reside in just two states, California (24.5%) and Florida
- (7.4%), according to Point-in-Time (PIT) estimates.
- The average cost of a single homeless person on society is $40,000 per year, according to the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
- The number of Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans who are homeless or at-risk of homelessness more than tripled in the last five years. (HUD)